Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve

Wow, it's only a Christmas Eve? It feels like we had more fun than we could take already. Jacob was working a TON this week changing tires, so it has been very nice to have him back. We all slept in this morning, made pancakes together, and headed out to Jacob's grandparents' house in Yakima. There we met Jacob's uncle, Ken, who was visiting from Finland. I wanted to take pictures of Jacob and his uncle together, but I didn't... They look a lot alike. I remember yelling at Ken at our wedding one time because I thought he was Jacob peeking my wedding dress. They are that alike. Emma and Lydia were painfully shy at first with Ken or Great-Grandpa, but over time, they became reasonable and eventually running in a circle around the kitchen... We didn't have enough time with them today, so we are planning to go back again tomorrow.

Then, we served dinner at the Women's Shelter in town. I felt uncomfortable so many of us just watching a few sheltered women eating, so I started talking to one of them. She got in car accident once, so she became disabled. She gets some SSI, but it isn't enough. She came to this shelter a week ago, and doesn't know when she can get out. Those sheltered women sleep on stretchers in a basement, and have to get out of there at 5:30 AM. Then they kill their time until 9 AM in a cafe. Then they spend their time in a library...without a choice. I have spent a Christmas and a New Year's Day in a women's shelter when I was going thought a divorce in Pullman, but it was a nice one. When we were done, I was ever thankful to have a house, friends and family to spend Christmas with, and all the nice presents under our tree.

At the Nelson's house, oh my goodness, I don't know if I can describe how wonderful they are. Well, let's start with food. Sister Nelson made Enchilada casserole and fruit salad. Brother Nelson made a Korean meat dish with rice. They had all kinds of chocolate treats I could imagine. Our children were enjoying their bananas and go-gurt while waiting for dinner. Then after the dinner, they put handmade head bands on Christine, Dallin, Emma, Garrett and Lydia. Brother Nelson read aloud a story of Jesus' birth while those children looked into Miguel and Brianne in a manger as twin baby Jesus. Brother Nelson read more stories such as "Little Boy's Blue Blanket" with tears in his voice. As he bore his testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and the Savior's life with more tears, I was deeply touched. Few things are more touching than men's sincere testimonies.

Then Sister Nelson started handing out presents from the "3 Wise Men." There were presents even for us individually. I don't know how they knew what we really wanted, but they knew. They were very thoughtful, wonderful gifts to us all. That time, our engaged friends, Julie and Tyler walked in. I have known Julie for years and seen her often, but had never heard her sing. Oh she can sing beautifully!! She can also make cute faces here and there when she is trying to remember the lyrics :) She is modeling, singing, and cutting hair. I hope she will reach her stardom someday soon.

As we were walking out the Nelson's house, saying good-bye to everybody, all I could think was "What a day! What a day!" I was holding back my tears, being so thankful to everything, everybody and every oppotunity to serve.

We were coming back to our house several times today, but we finally had time to let our puppies out and play. They were so excited to see us again! Then we opened more presents from my family in Japan. Some clothes were new and others were hand-me-downs from my niece, but they took such good care of clothes, so everything was as good as new. I don't know how we deserve all these blessings. Really. And I can't believe this is only a Christmas Eve.

1 comment:

Sarady said...

June, I found your adorable blog through Carrie's. You guys are the cutest family ever. I love the "American Hello Kitties," so cute! I'm adding you to my list so I can check on you more often. Love, Sarah Mugleston