Tuesday, August 26, 2008

8日目 8th Day 歯医者さん Dental Appointment

姉のお友達のお子さんグループ(合計11人)に参加させていただきました。一番小さい9ヶ月の赤ちゃんは名前を呼ばれると元気よくはーいと手を上げるのでとてもかわいかったです。家の中にわりと大きな滑り台があってエマは大はしゃぎ。おいしい手作りのたらこスパと家庭菜園のサラダをいただきました。エマとリディアは床に座ってご飯を食べる習慣がなく、すぐに高価そうなソファに上がっておにぎりを食べようとするのでちょっと困りました・・・。同窓会の立食パーティでは床に寝転ぶしちょっと先が読めません(--;)。そういえばアメリカでは床で食べることも立って食べることもしませんね。ソファなりテーブルなり椅子に座って食べます。(イイワケ、シテミタ・・・ ^ー^)

We joined with my sister's friends group with total of 11 people. The youngest 9-month-old girl was so cute raising her arm when her name was called. Emma enjoyed their big slide in the house. I enjoyed their homemade seafood spaghetti and homegrown salad. Emma and Lydia were not accustomed to sit and eat on the floor; they climed up on their pricey-looking couch with rice balls in their hands. As I noticed now, we never eat on the floor or standing up like the stand-up luncheon that my high school had. We always eat sitting on something off the floor. (I'm making excuses for my kid's bad manners in Japan...)

私は姉にエマとリディアを見てもらって、私は父お勧めの歯医者さんへ。日本の歯科衛生士さんって物知りですね。毎日3回ソニケア電動歯ブラシで歯磨きしてるし、毎晩歯の両端をフロスしてるから私の歯は綺麗と思っていたら、結構磨き方に癖があって「どんなに歯ブラシや歯磨きがよくても歯ブラシの当て方が悪いと40代50代になると急にガタが来る」とのことでした(@_@;)歯ブラシは山切りカットより平たいほうが当たる表面が多くてよい、もっと歯の根元に集中する、歯の前面の間は歯ブラシを縦に握って縦に磨く、下の歯2分、上の歯2分、仕上げに2分と、夜は合計6分(!)磨いてくださいと言われました。こんなことヤキマでは言われないですね。「ソニケアを使って毎晩フロスして6ヶ月毎に歯石を取りに来てください」以上!
私の父は歯がめちゃめちゃ綺麗で、ここ2年間歯石を取りに行っても「歯石がまったくありません」と返されるそうです。その父に1年半前フロスの仕方を教えてもらったのですが、まさか大人になってまだ歯磨きの仕方が甘かったとは思いもしなかったんでしょうねぇ。日本の歯医者さん、行ってよかったです。

While my sister looked after my kids, my dad took me to his dentist. I thought I was doing pretty well, using Sonicare three times a day and flossing both sides of each tooth every night. But the dental hygienist said I was not applying the brush right.... :( She said, "it was okay for now, but when you are in your 40th or 50th, there will be a problem." She recommended a flat cut over a V cut toothbrush, which have more touching space with teeth; I should pay more attention to the roots; I should hold toothbrush vertically and move it vertically on front teeth; and use Sonicare for 6 minutes before going to bed; 2 minutes on lower teeth, 2 minutes on upper teeth, and 2 minutes to finish up. My dentists in Yakima only said I was doing pretty well, use Sonicare, floss every night and come back for cleaning every 6 months. That was it.

My dad has perfect white teeth. In the past 2 years, even when he went to get his teeth cleaned, they said that there was absolutely no tartar. He taught Jacob and me how to floss 1 1/2 years ago, but we didn't think that I didn't know how to brush my teeth right at this age. I was glad that my dad took me to the dentist now.

No comments: